Thursday, June 12, 2014

The One with 100 Ways to Simplify Your Life (1-5)

Good morning...

If you follow my Facebook page then you know that I have been reading Joyce Meyer's "100 Ways to Simplify Your Life."

I am always looking for ways to simplify my life.  
Everything is so busy, busy, busy these days...I want to know how to make this life easier on myself and my family...I also want to know how to do that in a Godly way.

Today, I just wanted to share some notes I've made from #1-5...

1) Do One Thing at a Time

Oh my goodness...so far this has been the HARDEST one for me.
I have gotten in a terrible habit of multi-tasking like a crazy woman.  I will watch TV while I search not only my computer, but my phone as well.
I will try to pay bills, do something for work and help the kids with something.
I will wash dishes, do the laundry and talk on the phone.
So many times I get distracted and I feel like I hardly complete any task.  
I do so many things at once I don't feel like I ever give any task 100%.

Over the past few days I have been trying to focus ON ONE THING AT A TIME.
Whew...it's tough...but getting easier!

In the book:

"The apostle Paul tells us in Philippians 4:6 to be anxious for nothing.  Anxious people are always trying to live ahead of where they currently are.  They spend today trying to figure out tomorrow and the result is the loss of simplicity."
Practice living one day at a time; give yourself - your thoughts, your conversation, your energies, every part of you - to the day at hand."
"Develop an ability to give yourself to what you are doing.  You will sense an awareness enabling you to enjoy the current activity, instead of going through each day in a blur of activity and confusing thought which leave you drained and exhausted."
"Do you fear you will not accomplish as much if you try to live this way? It's true you may not do as much, but you will also enjoy what you do a whole lot more."

Wow.  That last line was soooo eye opening for me.  I may not accomplish as much...but that's ok!!

2) Be Satisfied with What You Have

This is one that I am familiar with.  I learned a while back...that if I can't appreciate what God has already given me...why would He give me any more?

I also think....at times....that I have way too much stuff in my life and I feel it complicates our lives and makes me feel stressed.

In the book:

"Does "more" have the ability to make us happy as the world wants us to believe? The answer is No! In fact, the more we have, the more work we must do to take care of it.
"There's nothing wrong with having things, but it is wrong to lust after them.  When we feel we cannot be happy without something, we are lusting after it."
"Make a decision to begin thoroughly enjoying what you have.  Thank God for it and be content."

3) Keep God First

I try to do this...but just like everyone else...at times I think I know best...and I try to control things in my life.  
I enjoy blessing others and showing them that they are loved, but somethings I get selfish and forget to always think of others instead of myself.
I want to keep God first and bless others more!

In the book:

"Money can divert our attention away from God and His will, but it doesn't have to.  We should not be afraid of abundance; instead, we should learn how to handle it properly.  If we maintain a proper attitude toward money and material things, they can be used to bless people."
"We can enjoy abundance without it pulling us away from God or causing us to be greedy.  We can be prosperous and still keep God first in our lives."
"Money is only a problem is we hoard it.  The Bible never says money is a problem; it does say the love of money is a problem.  Learn to be a channel, not a reservoir.  Let things flow to you and through you."

4) Live to Glorify God

I want to see God in my work, my chores at home...everywhere!
How simple is that...sometimes I overlook the small things that God has His hand in....

In the book:

"Start seeing ordinary daily routines as something done for God, not something to check off your list so you can search for God amidst things you think are holy."
"God assigns us the ordinary things of life as well as spiritual things like prayer, Bible study and good works."
"What makes life simple is having an intimate relationship with Christ..."
"Start removing those parts of your life you keep around only for yourself so you will have more room for the parts that glorify and honor God."

Wow....that last one wrecked my heart...because I am so guilty of filling up my life with only things that are just for me!! Life is so much more...than just about me.

5) Don't Worry about Tomorrow

In the book:

"Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden."
 - Corrie Ten Boom

How true is that quote?

"Our heavenly Father does not give us an extra supply of grace to think on tomorrow's problems and still maintain our peace of mind and joy."
"Trying to live tomorrow today complicates life."
"Don't fear the future, because what you need to deal with tomorrow can only come with tomorrow."
"Put your trust in God and allow yourself to enjoy the simple life."


This book...has been so encouraging so far!!
I can't wait to read the rest of these ways 
that will help me simplify my life!!

I hope each of you has a Happy Thursday!!! :)


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I need this so much. I have a blog post brewing in my head about the constant more... hopefully I'll get it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is so so so good Becky.... I can't wait to read that post!

      Delete